the stiff upper lip fights back

i was at Esprit last week and to my amusement, i was served by a malay cashier with a somewhat authentic london accent.

no, the accent was not amusing, but what happened in between waiting for my receipt was.

the cashier turned to her colleague, who had asked her a question (rhetorical, imho), and answered her in complete singapore-accented english.

i was a hundred percent flabbergasted.

if you could put yourself in my position, wouldn't that have totally tickled you?

it's absurd how she puts on a faux accent to serve us customers and drops it during normal conversations with other people. i seriously don't see the logic.

my other encounter of this sort was with my ex-editor at HOT Magazine (the saddest excuse for a monthly singapore has ever seen). siti wears her posher-than-Queen E accent like a second skin - to the extent of me imagining myself to be working for ang mohs when i had a phone interview with her.

i wish those faux-accent folks could speak like that all the time, well those who do it well of course. it is delightful to hear if you ignore the slight poseur-ism.

0 Responses to “the stiff upper lip fights back”

Post a Comment