Viewpoint from across the causeway

One of the friends I met in uni is thinking of getting a car. That decision, however, comes with a bit of hesitation because my friend, a Malaysian, has to triple his costs due to the currency rates.

A dollar here costs three dollars in Malaysia, whereas for my case, I just multiply 1.3 times, which amounts up to less stress for me.

So logically speaking, if I were to get myself a set of wheels, I wouldn't feel the pinch as much as he does. Considering the cost of getting a second-hand car here and the number of "2nd-hand car for sale" notices in school, buying my very own transport is just at the tip of my fingers.

But I'm not even seriously considering a car myself - buses and trains here are a lot cheaper than back home despite their long waiting times.

Today I spotted a flyer in the media store:

"2nd-hand car for sale. Auto, in good condition. Call 04xx xxx xxx."

I msged my friend, and our conversation went thus:

"Hey dunno if u've seen it, but there's a car for sale notice at the media store, auto, abt 1300..."
"Really? So cheap must be not that good I think. Anyway why dont you buy it haha"
"Haha... Can go test drive mah, if i buy, i tihnk my mum will kill me... :)"
"For you not expansive (sic) what. Anyway need to make sure the car is worth buying it. Not the matter of price must see the codition (sic) of the car. If not later service"
"Ya not expensive but my mum told me b4 i left 'u dont go n buy car ah!!!' so i hv 2 listen 2 her.. lol"
"If like that no choice have to wait lo hehe. Now i cant buy yet no car id here and dad will not let me buy with out car id. Try ask your mom again maybe can le."
"Win lottery easier lah... Can get jaguar..."
"Singapore ppl are like that really hope on lottery one haha. Scare lose de la."

I don't know what to say to that. I think he hit the nail on its head though. "Singapore ppl... really hope on lottery one" You think? Everytime we encounter something beyond our dream we say "I win lottery then talk", I never ever heard my friend mention winning the lottery for the six weeks I've been here, and he just comes from the country across the causeway, not some far off land like China. Amazing, isn't it.

Anyway.

3 Responses to “Viewpoint from across the causeway”

  1. # Blogger the devil herself

    coz malaysians don't dream (about striking rich through lottery) as much. :)  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I guess it's quite true. Every darn thing also must go buy 4D or Toto. Car accident, see the number plate then go buy the number. People commit suicide, see the block number or unit number then go buy the number. Whoever's birthday, go buy variations of the birthdate. I think end up by the time you strike lottery, you'll have wasted lots of money on it already.  

  3. # Blogger peiwen

    Why do you think S'pore Pools has so much money to give to the "winners?"  

Post a Comment