All together now: vegemite!

My Australian housemate made me try vegemite today. I think we know it as marmite in Singapore, anyway they're all yeast extracts.

Vegemite has got to be the saltiest thing I've ever tasted. Evar. In my entire life. I was cooking dinner (yes I can cook) while Nic (from Germany) was cleaning our fridge when I noticed Vegemite on Bec's shelf. Conveniently, Bec came trotting out so I asked, "You eat Vegemite too?"

"Oh yeah." (wide grin)
"Is it an Australian thing?"
"YEAH." (nods)
"What does it go with?"
"I dunno, I eat it plain."

My eyes widened in shock when I heard that. Nic looked on while Bec continued "It's really salty, you probably won't like it." Seeing my shocked reaction still on my face, Bec added, "You wanna try?"

Of course I declined. But that was on Sunday.

Monday evening, Bec again asked me, "You wanna try Vegemite?" (Oh god, why doesn't she give up?) Since she asked twice, I decided Vegemite must be something that doesn't taste as bad as it sounded so I said, "Yeah, if you don't mind." I received a 5 cent sized lump on her spoon and OH MY BLOODY GOD. OH MY BLOODY GOD.

She was nice enough to say I could spit it out if I wanted but I just took it down like I had been downing Vegemite all my life.

"It's an acquired taste."
"Oh yeah, definitely."

6 Responses to “All together now: vegemite!”

  1. # Blogger peiwen

    LOL, oh you should try it! What's a stay in Australia without at least one taste of that stuff.

    If Australians could have one food-related orgasm per day, Vegemite would be it. :)  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    but but.. I like vegemite. I couldn't get enough of it. Could you send some back? -wide eyed-  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Oh, I forgot to add.. My cousins loved to add this to bread. Does tt answer your question to what it goes with?  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    i can't help laughing when i read this post! hahaha but i like (our version) marmite. it goes well with porridge leh. nice nice, yumm yumm!!

    :D

    -s.y.  

  5. # Blogger peiwen

    perr: yeah it goes well with toast. I'll send some back if u want. ;)  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Ermz...yea...vegemite is salty. I can't understand how people can eat that thing. Doesn't it make one extra hungry after that? You know like how you get really hungry after eating the "kiam kiam" (the little strips in a bottle).  

Post a Comment