On life, again

I'll try to write this particular entry with utmost objectivity. Under current circumstances (which will be elaborated later), I know most would jump to the conclusion of me writing this in a fit of anger but no, I've actually had some time to reflect and, well, you really should judge for yourself.

I've always expressed interest in a part-time job, or jobs, while I'm studying. Everyone knows the average student can't possibly survive too well on their parents' allowance and it's always nice to have some extra cash around. You know, for emergencies. ;)

Shortly after I'd arrived in Perth last month, a friend asked if I would take over her job at a foodcourt in West Perth paying $8 an hour and I only had to work three hours a day. Pretty simple if you thought about it. I didn't have to clean plates nor clear tables so of course it's brainless work. (There wasn't really a chance for me to turn down the job but that's another point for another day). Job-wise, I think any idiot could do it. Money-wise, however, it definitely disappointed.

(I could only put in two days at the foodcourt so that meant I was only going to make $48 a week.)

Today was my third day on the job. Well, my first day was counted as "training" and thus I wasn't paid so I suppose today was my second "proper" day at work.

I'll cut the chase. I got fired. Excellent.

I had one lousy day at work. I didn't paid as much attention as I normally did. I needed the boss to tell me instructions twice before they got lodged into my permanent headspace. So I messed up about five times on my third day and I ended up being told to "go home". Pardon me if you think I'm asking a too obvious question but did I needed to get sacked?

I have had off days at my previous workplaces, or even at school, with all those projects and assignments, but did you see those employees fire me or me giving up a project halfway?

Honestly, I do look to this as quite the blessing in disguise but it still riles me to think I was asked to leave on somewhat unjustifiable grounds (in my opinion, at least).

I gotta start looking for another job. I hear being a cleaner gets you $16 per hour.

4 Responses to “On life, again”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    u really made me laugh. whatever happened to your attentiveness?

    -s.y.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    What did you do "so wrong" that warranted them to fire you?  

  3. # Blogger peiwen

    sy: i left that in singapore

    hellsbane: it wasn't a single big thing tt made him fire me, but, i guess, the accumulation of little things like preparing orders wrongly and not remembering instructions. common mistakes people make at work, just that i happened to make them all in the same day.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hmmm...I think it's a little harsh of them. Since that was your first day at work, can't expect you to do everything perfectly what. I think if after a week you still make all those little mistakes then you ought to be fired. What happened to the thing called "probation period"? But I guess the way they handle things there and here in Singapore are different? I think they would have died if they had some of those new boys at Mos to work for them. HAHAHA...  

Post a Comment