Another one of those "On life" things

The last time I checked, me and my fellow contemporaries are supposed to be uni students. I am doing a minor in psychology. Why the hell is my textbook written like a kiddie novel? There're imaginary characters popping up all over and there's this teacher character of some sort.

Get this:

What are ABCs of behaviour analysis, Midori?

"Antecedents, behaviour, and consequences."

And why are the ABCs important to us?

"Because that's what behaviour analysis is about, the way behaviour is related to its antecedents and consequenes."


And that's just the beginning. There are apparently other "students" in the book named Jamal, Alfred, Maya, Carlotta, Belinda, John, etc. etc. etc. And oh god, this one chapter ends with: "That was an excellent summary, Jamal, and I'd like to hear more, but I'm afraid we're out of time. Be sure to collect the handouts before you leave. See you next time."

What the hell?!?!?! Who is Jamal? What handouts? And "See you next time"?!?!? I think this author is taking this play acting a bit too far, don't you reckon? It just came so unexpectedly, you pick up a book titled "Methods in Applied Behaviour Analysis", something you expect to be scholarly and serious and, to be honest, quite boring and you see this!! I don't know if I should trust what I'm reading, seriously. If the book wasn't necessary for my research report I'd have thrown it away in horror. Oh god.

5 Responses to “Another one of those "On life" things”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Haha...but doesn't that make studying so much more fun? HAHAHA...  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    oh god, that sounds like my secondary school English textbook. haha.

    maybe bcoz they knew students would think it's too "heavy" to digest, they've decided to make it light reading instead.

    -s.y.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

    His publisher must have lost a bet.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    s.y.: I was thinking more of primary school textbook. XD  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    i'm malaysian so the standard is lower (I guess). haha

    but i can remember the textbook characters continue from one year to another. how silly.

    -s.y.  

Post a Comment