Road confidence

You know what happens when you take the same route to work everyday? Sooner or later you just stop noticing things. There is this confidence in the familiar. What happens when you get too confident? Well, you make stupid mistakes. Mistakes like over-judging the space in the parking lot.

Yeah this is just like the last time.

Sof's boyfriend wrote, in the card CJ sent, don't bump other people's cars! And well I guess I don't do too well with advice, do I?

I was trying to squeeze in between this passenger van and SUV and I kinda knew space was a little tight between me and the van. But I park there 3 times a week and I reckoned I knew whether there was enough space or not. So I was edging in centimetre by centimetre... and then I gave the van a little... love tap, literally. A tap on the van's bumper.

You probably think I'm a really bad driver. And at this point, I'm not going to disagree. Sometimes I don't pay sufficient attention because I think changing the radio station or adjusting my air-conditioner's vents are more important. Or moisturising my hands. Or adjusting my hair. Or staring too long at the rear-view mirror.

Ok... too much information.

Anyhow it turned out the van driver's wife was waiting in the passenger seat so I was caught red-handed. She was elderly, soft-spoken, and probably wouldn't have noticed anything had I not told her, "Did you feel me bump into the van's rear?"

I told her I didn't cause any scratches because it was the bumper I knocked into, but gave her my name and number for good measure, and about four apologies, which seemed to be enough because her husband - good, kind man that he is - called me this evening with the most beautiful words ever "Sweetheart, I'm not going to take any action because it's not something I haven't done myself."

Isn't he the most wonderful man evar? See I knew all that weekend donations to can-toting secondary school kids would not come to naught! :-)

And trust me, two little accidents in a month, yes I've learnt my lesson.

6 Responses to “Road confidence”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    when you've gotten a summon, hit someone, ran out of petrol in the middle of town, you'd be seasoned. :)

    -s.y.  

  2. # Blogger peiwen

    u mean u have kena-ed all these before? cellmate, i salute u!

    speaking of summons, i have gotten one before, $100 somemore. tried to plead my case with a letter but the cown touncil rejected. walau. and you know the letter they sent me to tell me i got fined, they got my name and address wrong (though i dunno how it managed to come to the right address in the end) so technically i could have said the summon wasn't mine. :S  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    lol Pwen!!! U gotta be careful!!! Seems lyk u're very accident prone!! hahaa.. drive safely there man.. I must say u're damn lucky to run into such a kind man.. in Singapore, that person would probably be cursing at you... hehe..  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    yah, all kena-ed. within 2 weeks after getting the license. :P

    there was once, summon came but the number plate of my car was wrongly written. my dad then said it's not our car and threw the summon into the bin. hahaha

    -s.y.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Bless the little old man and lady.  

  6. # Anonymous Anonymous

    well pwen thanks for proving to up that women never listen..

    sheesh woman..dun ever drive in sg. god knows the kind of law suits u might get

    ~ soffie  

Post a Comment