And now, a word from the lowly majority

Mathematics was my strong suit when I did my O Levels. It still is now, just don't ask me about pythagoras' theorem. So with my above-average calculating skills (ahem), I did an estimate of how much it would cost weekly for me to attend classes.

A single unit costs $1900 (an average as different degrees have different costs).
We have 13 weeks of classes, which means each week will cost the average student about $150, if you round up.

Skipping that week's classes means $150 have gone from your pocket into the uni's without you getting anything in exchange.

Attending classes but with a boring lecturer droning on and on would also mean that $150 have been deposited into said uni without you getting anything of any worth back. It is not your fault you attended the lecture but fell asleep because the lecturer seemed to be telling a bedtime story.

Do you see... where I'm going... with this?

Why do some lecturers suck so badly? You would think with their experience of attending lectures, and then conducting lectures themselves, they would have had some idea of making their lectures interesting, or even listenable, to start with? Or is it because they just don't bother because they have the upperhand anyway? I'm not asking them to do a song and dance, just make lectures more bearable, is that so hard to do?

* * *

You know the Aussies are pretty big on personalised car plates when your colleague's car plate reads John 4 16. Imagine my amusement when I stopped right behind this at a red light:

Spotted

4 Responses to “And now, a word from the lowly majority”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    If I owned a car, I would like it to read "boss". Haha...  

  2. # Blogger peiwen

    I'm sure you would... :-P

    I'm not a fan of personalised car plates, or decorated car interiors, or modified car engines. I reckon cars are nice just the way they are.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey Peiwen, I know how you feel about the lecturers here in Aussie. Then again, i'm sure they'd rather be somewhere else than standing in front of a room full of rowdy youths who have absoulutely no idea what he/she's trying to say.

    Then again, those who can't, teach. :P

    On a lighter note, I've gotta get that Car Plate for the girlfriend.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    haha. another entry about me again? XD

    the boyfriend mentioned it else I would
    have never known :D  

Post a Comment