Hit and run

Something terrible happened today. If you had guessed, from the title, that it had to do with cars and driving, well, you're right. Nobody was hurt, fortunately.

Anyways Perth was pouring today. Like big fat droplets and strong winds, the type that sort of make it harder to see what's on the road, y'know? I was reversing into this lot today and I had noticed I was coming too close to the car on my right. There was probably about only 10cm space but I wasn't too worried because it's not the first time I had come so close. I just had to go forward and reverse again.

So I turned my head around to check for oncoming cars, at the same time reach for my gear stick, the next thing I knew, there was this barely audible scratching sound coming from my right.

Shit, right?

I drove forward, and turned my body around to check the damage. When you're in my situation and you hear a sound like that, anyone can tell what had happened.

The car was an average red sedan, and there was, indeed, a series of three white lines running across its paintwork. The longest one was about 30cm.

I did what was probably the most irresponsible thing I have ever done: Drive away to park at another lot as far away as possible.

When I stopped at my second lot (parked safely this time), I sat for a good five minutes weighing my options. Not a lot to choose from: Either I walk away, or leave a note with my contact details.

I headed in to work, doing nothing. It was busy when I entered so I got to work straightaway. In between customers, I told my colleague what happened. She said it was probably the rain, and that I should leave a note. Asking her advice was hardly necessary, I mean, isn't it obvious the right thing to do was to apologise and then leave my phone number?

I caught a break about 30 minutes into my shift and ran back out into the parking lot but here's the thing, the red sedan was gone, which increased my guilt about tenfold. Somewhere out there this irate driver was most probably cussing in a thousand and one languages and I'm here, half of me quite happy to have escaped dealing with it (the other half extremely guilty of course).

I'm really going to be threading on eggshells for a while now, just so karma will have less of a reason to strike. :S

3 Responses to “Hit and run”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    TSK TSK TSK!!

    it happened to me and i scratched my neighbour's car. after a while, i felt so guilty and decided to own up. and felt better! :)

    -s.y.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Same reaction as s.y...tsk tsk tsk.

    But you felt guilty so that says you still have a conscience.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    boss..what does that mean?
    of course this woman has a conscience..she had one here that doesn't mean it evaporated when she entered aussie..
    seriously babe, dun worry abt it. chances are he's gonna claim from his insurance company. park and found case. when they investigate it, they will know it's an accident that wld have happened due to the weather & such & they'll pay him so chill k.

    ~ soffie  

Post a Comment