Passing it on

When I was about 8 and we had just moved to our new apartment, the notion of taking the lift was introduced. Previously we were located a mere three storeys up so under parental rule, we had to take the stairs.

Anyways the new flat was on the eighth floor and we took the elevator everytime. Mum taught me to ask "Which floor?" to all the neighbours riding with us and, even though it might be hard to believe, I did that quite religiously, even today.

Remember how Haley Joel Osment urged us all to "pass it on" in that movie he did with Helen Hunt and Kevin Spacey? The one where he got stabbed by schoolmate and died quite tragically? Sorry if you hadn't watched it but in my defense it really was an old movie. You should have watched it by now if you had wanted to watch it.

I'm not digressing here, in case you're wondering why I went from talking about lifts to Haley Joel Osment movies.

Thing is, I'm starting to see, what mum taught me over 10 years ago, my neighbours returning the favour now. Even the little primary school kids. Which really makes for such a good community doesn't it? Things like these seem trivial, obviously, compared to what, your monthly donations to whatsthatcharity but I'm of the opinion that your monetary contributions have no place in society until you can learn to be well-mannered to the people you interact with on a daily basis. How exactly does your $10k donation chip in when you put on a black face towards your neighbours? And, really, what's it gonna hurt to just be civil? Besides, it's free. Food for thought.

2 Responses to “Passing it on”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    argh!!! shitez babe make ur identity anonymous lah then we can know the dish of ur work... scandalous! gossip! what every girls' lives need.

    ~ karmad  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I wanna know too! I'm kaypoh lahz...  

Post a Comment