Being isolated

I don't know if Australia's youth are just not very on top of technological trends or if the media has anything to do with their ignorance, but most natives have never even heard of friendster. Here you have people (like me) who are already tired of friendster and there you have people who go "What's Friendster?"

It's a bit hard to stomach, personally.

Then the other day in Psy a group named themselves SPG, after their initials. The first thought that came to my mind was the (infamous) blogger. I whispered "Sarong Party Girl" to my Malaysian friend and she nodded, us sharing a slight grin at that mention. In contrast, my other two Australian groupmates, who happened to overhear, looked at me and asked "Who's that?"

"A well-known blogger who posted nude pictures on her blog."
"What's that? I've never heard of a blog."
"Blog. An online diary."

I can understand, perhaps, if one has not heard of Friendster but blogs? Who hasn't heard of blogs? Even my mum knows the term. And I have seen stuff like Blogwatch on Australian newspapers. Maybe Psychology students don't read newspapers. I dunno. I think the big things in Australia are the soap opera Neighbours and barbie with lots of beef.

Anyhow, recent happenings in the student village--

Halloween, with our very own home-carved pumpkin:



and a very narcissitic housemate who insisted on having pictures of her foot taken (rolls eyes), just because I was playing around with a friend's DSLR:



Disgusting, isn't it. What a sight for sore eyes.

5 Responses to “Being isolated”

  1. # Blogger girlinatower

    dun worry. No one in UK that I have met so far have heard of Friendster except the Malaysians and it jus started getting Hot in KL.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    hurhhhh?? the countries that were supposed to be 'atas' are actually 'bawah' (below/ under).

    anywayz, the leg looks like zhu jiao. (sshhhh) :P

    how nice to celebrate haloween with your very own carved pumpkin. so warm...

    -s.y.  

  3. # Blogger peiwen

    SY: nah, it's just like us celebrating halloween, at least, those pubs do... you know? it's not a traditional aussie festival... but the village decided to have some fun anyway. :)  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    we celebrate halloween? we do meh?? we don't ler.. :S

    -s.y.  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    i don't think everyone at down under's ignorant as not to know what a blog is...

    I've got an australian blogger pal :)


    and yes, the foot's a rather sore sight for my eyes :P  

Post a Comment